Entry Title: CALIPSO Lidar Level 2 Polar Stratospheric Clouds presents, composition, and optical properties, V1-10
Entry ID: CAL_LID_L2_PSCMask-Prov-V1-10
Aerosols Clouds Radiation Budget
CAL_LID_L2_PSCMask-Prov-V1-10 data are CALIPSO Lidar Level 2 Polar Stratospheric Clouds (PSC) profiles of PSC presence, composition, optical properties, and meteorological information along CALIPSO orbit tracks. The PSC data product ensemble describes the spatial distribution and optical properties of PSC layers observed by the CALIPSO lidar. Each file contains data from all nighttime orbit segments from a single day reported on a 5-km horizontal by 180-m vertical grid. PSC detection is limited to nighttime CALIOP observations because higher levels of background light during daytime significantly reduce the signal-to-noise and, hence, the PSC detection sensitivity. Cloud-Aerosol Lidar and Infrared Pathfinder Satellite Observations (CALIPSO) was launched on April 28, 2006 to study the impact of clouds and aerosols on the Earth's radiation budget and climate. It flies in the international A-Train constellation for coincident Earth observations. The CALIPSO satellite comprises three instruments, the Cloud-Aerosol LIdar with Orthogonal Polarization (CALIOP), the Imaging Infrared Radiometer (IIR), and the Wide Field Camera (WFC). CALIPSO is a joint satellite mission between NASA and the French Agency, CNES.
Resources and Documentation
GOTO WEB TOOL
PROFESSIONAL HOME PAGE
PROJECT HOME PAGE
VIEW RELATED INFORMATION
- How to cite ASDC data
DATA CITATION POLICY
- A-Train Data Depot (ATDD) Description
- ASDC Data and Information for CALIPSO
- CALIPSO - List of project documentation (Data Products Catalog and ATBDs)
- CALIPSO Data Release Summary Statement
- Links to tools available through the ASDC
- Overview of CALIPSO Data at the ASDC
- CALIPSO - Data Availability Site
- CALIPSO Quality Statements Lidar Level 2 Polar Stratospheric Cloud Product Version Release: 1.00
PRODUCT QUALITY ASSESSMENT
- Overview of CALIPSO Data Product Maturity
- CALIPSO Products Overview
- CALIPSO: Cloud-Aerosol Lidar and Infrared Pathfinder Satellite Observations Fact Sheet
- NASA Earth Observatory: Nighttime Ash Tracking - Vertical profile of the volcanic ash helps modelers issue more accurate warnings to pilots.
- NASA Earth Observatory: Polar Stratospheric Clouds - CALIPSO caught a top-down glimpse of an unusual atmospheric phenomenon - polar stratospheric clouds.
- NASA Earth Observatory: Whitewater-Baldy Fire in New Mexico - Understanding how high wildfires send smoke into the atmosphere is one of the key pieces of information required to predict where and how a smoke plume will spread.
- NASA Earthdata Content Delivery Network (CDN) Article: Experiment in the sky - A train of satellites follows the atmospheric effects of a volcanic eruption.
- CALIPSO Data User’s Guide - Frequently Asked Questions
USER FEEDBACK PAGE
From GCMD Science Keywords:
- POLAR STRATOSPHERIC CLOUDS/NACREOUS > STRATOSPHERIC CLOUDS (OBSERVED/ANALYZED)
- Polar Stratospheric Clouds
- PSC (Polar Stratospheric Cloud) Feature Mask
Other (HDF) , Other (NetCDF)
Note: "Get Dataset" is a link to our recommended order method. The down arrow will show you additional options.
Spatial Coverage Type: Horizontal
Coordinate System: Geodetic
Granule Spatial Representation: Geodetic
Temporal Coverage: 2016-12-01 - 2020-09-30
Temporal Resolution: Daily