MOPITT Level 3
Entry Title: MOPITT CO gridded daily means (Thermal Infrared Radiances) V008
Entry ID: MOP03T_8
MOP03T_8 is the Measurements Of Pollution In The Troposphere (MOPITT) Carbon Monoxide (CO) gridded daily means (Thermal Infrared Radiances) version 8 data product. It contains daily mean gridded versions of the daily Level 2 CO profile and total column retrievals. For this data product, the averaging kernels associated with each retrieval are also gridded and included in the Level 3 files. For a description of the file contents, refer to the File Spec Document. The MOPITT Level 2 Data Quality Statement contains additional information about the quality and the limitations of the retrievals. MOPITT was successfully launched into sun-synchronous polar orbit aboard Terra, NASA's first Earth Observing System spacecraft, on December 18, 1999. The MOPITT instrument was constructed by a consortium of Canadian companies and funded by the Space Science Division of the Canadian Space Agency. Data collection for this product was completed in March of 2020.
Resources and Documentation
GET RELATED VISUALIZATION
GOTO WEB TOOL
MOPITT Search and Subsetting Web Application
Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC): Giovanni - Interactive Visualization and Analysis software
PROFESSIONAL HOME PAGE
University of Toronto MOPITT Overview
PROJECT HOME PAGE
Canadian MOPITT project home page
VIEW RELATED INFORMATION
- NASA EOS ATB Documents: MOPITT
ALGORITHM THEORETICAL BASIS DOCUMENT (ATBD)
- ASDC List of MOPITT Quality Statements
- Quality Summary: MOPITT Level 3, Version 8 (V8; L3V5.6.x), first released December, 2018
- ASDC Data and Information for MOPITT
- Overview of MOPITT Data at the ASDC
- Examples on how to access and visualize various NASA HDF/HDF-EOS files using Python (pyhdf/h5py), NCL, MATLAB®, and IDL®, NCL, MATLAB®, and IDL®
- Earth Observing System Data and InformationSystem (EOSDIS) Article: On The Trail of Global Pollution Drift
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: Bushfires Raging in Southeast Australia : Natural Hazards - Data taken by the Measurements Of Pollution In The Troposphere (MOPITT) instrument aboard NASA's Terra satellite have been combined for 6 days from January 15-20, 2003
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: Carbon Monoxide from Tropical Fires : Natural Hazards - The Terra MOPITT sensor observed large plumes of carbon monoxide produced by biomass burning in South America and Africa in early August 2004.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: Fires and Thick Smoke over South America : Natural Hazards - Places where MOPITT could not collect enough data to make an estimate of carbon monoxide (probably due to clouds) are gray.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: MOPITT First Light Image : Image of the Day - MOPITT measures radiances in several channels to determine the amount of carbon monoxide (CO) and methane in the atmosphere.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: MOPITT Views Carbon Monoxide Concentration, there were widespread wildfires across Montana and Idaho.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: MOPITT Views North America : Image of the Day - Measurement of Pollution in the Troposphere, MOPITT, measures two important pollutants in the Earth's atmosphere—carbon monoxide (CO) and methane.
- NASA Earthdata Article: Nature's contribution: Researchers investigate how much wildfires contribute to pollution, and how far this pollution can travel - By Jane Beitler
- NASA Langley Article: Fourteen Years of Carbon Monoxide from MOPITT, which has truly unlocked a pathway for groundbreaking studies of air pollution transport and atmospheric chemical processes.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) Article: Unexpected slowdown of US pollutant emission reduction in the past decade (Ground and satellite observations show that air pollution regulations in the United States (US) have resulted in substantial reductions in emissions and corresponding improvements in air quality over the last several decades)
- MOPITT Version 8 Product User's Guide
From GCMD Science Keywords:
- AIR QUALITY
- CARBON MONOXIDE
- ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY
- ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE
- ATMOSPHERIC WATER VAPOR
- SURFACE PRESSURE
- ATMOSPHERIC TEMPERATURE
- WATER VAPOR INDICATORS
- WATER VAPOR > WATER VAPOR INDICATORS
- SURFACE TEMPERATURE
- CARBON AND HYDROCARBON COMPOUNDS
- ATMOSPHERIC CARBON MONOXIDE > CARBON AND HYDROCARBON COMPOUNDS
- Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Note: "Get Dataset" is a link to our recommended order method. The down arrow will show you additional options.
Spatial Coverage Type: Horizontal Vertical
Coordinate System: Cartesian
Granule Spatial Representation: Cartesian
GLOBAL GEOGRAPHIC REGION
Temporal Coverage: 2000-03-03 - Present