Entry Title: MOPITT CO gridded monthly means (Near and Thermal Infrared Radiances) V009
Entry ID: MOP03JM_9
MOP03JM_9 is the Measurements Of Pollution In The Troposphere (MOPITT) Carbon Monoxide (CO) gridded monthly means (Near and Thermal Infrared Radiances) version 9 data product. It contains monthly mean gridded versions of the daily Level 2 CO profile and total column retrievals. For this data product, the averaging kernels associated with each retrieval are also gridded and included in the Level 3 files. For a description of the file contents, refer to the File Spec Document. The MOPITT Level 2 Data Quality Statement contains additional information about the quality and the limitations of the retrievals. MOPITT was successfully launched into sun-synchronous polar orbit aboard Terra, NASA's first Earth Observing System spacecraft, on December 18, 1999. The MOPITT instrument was constructed by a consortium of Canadian companies and funded by the Space Science Division of the Canadian Space Agency. V9 is an improvement over V8 because of several scientific enhancements. These include: A revision of the cloud filter to allow through a much higher number of pixels that were previously considered cloudy, a minor correction to the Forward Model to account for long-term drift of the pressure in the gas cell, and a careful analysis of the NIR calibration process which reduces discontinuities associated with calibration events. Data collection for this product is ongoing.
Resources and Documentation
GET RELATED VISUALIZATION
GOTO WEB TOOL
PROFESSIONAL HOME PAGE
PROJECT HOME PAGE
VIEW RELATED INFORMATION
- NASA EOS ATB Documents: MOPITT
ALGORITHM THEORETICAL BASIS DOCUMENT (ATBD)
- How to cite ASDC data
DATA CITATION POLICY
- ASDC List of MOPITT Quality Statements
- Examples on how to access and visualize various NASA HDF/HDF-EOS files using Python (pyhdf/h5py), NCL, MATLAB®, and IDL®, NCL, MATLAB®, and IDL®
- Earth Observing System Data and InformationSystem (EOSDIS) Article: On The Trail of Global Pollution Drift
- MOPITT Data Products Overview
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: Bushfires Raging in Southeast Australia : Natural Hazards - Data taken by the Measurements Of Pollution In The Troposphere (MOPITT) instrument aboard NASA's Terra satellite have been combined for 6 days from January 15-20, 2003
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: Carbon Monoxide from Tropical Fires : Natural Hazards - The Terra MOPITT sensor observed large plumes of carbon monoxide produced by biomass burning in South America and Africa in early August 2004.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: Fires and Thick Smoke over South America : Natural Hazards - Places where MOPITT could not collect enough data to make an estimate of carbon monoxide (probably due to clouds) are gray.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: MOPITT First Light Image : Image of the Day - MOPITT measures radiances in several channels to determine the amount of carbon monoxide (CO) and methane in the atmosphere.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: MOPITT Views Carbon Monoxide Concentration, there were widespread wildfires across Montana and Idaho.
- NASA Earth Observatory Article: MOPITT Views North America : Image of the Day - Measurement of Pollution in the Troposphere, MOPITT, measures two important pollutants in the Earth's atmosphere—carbon monoxide (CO) and methane.
- NASA Earthdata Article: Nature's contribution: Researchers investigate how much wildfires contribute to pollution, and how far this pollution can travel - By Jane Beitler
- NASA Langley Article: Fourteen Years of Carbon Monoxide from MOPITT, which has truly unlocked a pathway for groundbreaking studies of air pollution transport and atmospheric chemical processes.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) Article: Unexpected slowdown of US pollutant emission reduction in the past decade (Ground and satellite observations show that air pollution regulations in the United States (US) have resulted in substantial reductions in emissions and corresponding improvements in air quality over the last several decades)
- U.S. MOPITT Project home page list of publications
- Validation of MOPITT CO Mixing Ratio and Column Retrievals
SCIENCE DATA PRODUCT VALIDATION
- MOPITT Version 9 Product User's Guide
From GCMD Science Keywords:
- WATER VAPOR INDICATORS
- CARBON MONOXIDE > CARBON AND HYDROCARBON COMPOUNDS
- ATMOSPHERIC TEMPERATURE
- CARBON MONOXIDE
- CARBON AND HYDROCARBON COMPOUNDS
- SURFACE TEMPERATURE
- WATER VAPOR > WATER VAPOR INDICATORS
- ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY
- AIR QUALITY
- SURFACE PRESSURE
- ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE
- ATMOSPHERIC WATER VAPOR
- Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Note: "Get Dataset" is a link to our recommended order method. The down arrow will show you additional options.
Spatial Coverage Type: Horizontal Vertical
Coordinate System: Cartesian
Granule Spatial Representation: Cartesian
GEOGRAPHIC REGION GLOBAL
Temporal Coverage: 2000-03-03 - Present